Monday, October 6, 2008

Entry #8 – Watermark Event: A “Major” Change

The Freshmen have to work on this Watermark Assignment, that they will continue through the quarter.

When I was in my sophomore year of college, I was a Physics major.  I was starting my electro-magnetism class, and I had gotten the teacher everyone warned me about, including faculty.  I went to the class for the first few weeks, and it was just as awful as I had been warned.  He berated the class, calling us stupid for having questions, and would only give “A”s to people that went to all of his office hours.

            It was horrible, and I was so conflicted – I had already spent a year in college preparing for a career in physics, I had taken chemistry, other physics classes, and really difficult math, and I didn’t know what to do.

            Luckily, the previous semester, I had taken an English 101 class that I loved, and it reminded me how much I loved to write and do essays – just overall having the opportunity to be creative.  After some serious deliberation and conversation with my mom, I decided to drop my physics class, lab, and my calculus 2 class, and change my major to English.

            I have never looked back on this decision.  I actually decided to teach because I never want another student to be treated the way that I was by that physics professor.

No comments:

Post a Comment