Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Entry #15 - Halloween Memories

My mom made most of my costumes as a child, so I always had really unique ones.  My favorite was Halloween was kind of a weird one for me, because my brother was really sick and couldn't go with my mom and me.

For the costumes this particular year, we did a Super Mario theme.  My mom was Luigi, my brother was going to be Mario, and I was Princess Peach.  I still remember the feel of the stuff, felt "hair" my mom made, and how it was bright yellow.  My mom looked so funny in her green Luigi outfit, but it was perfect, just like everything she made for us.  And, it was a very special Halloween, since it was just my mom and me.

Down my parents' street a little but was this old tree we called "stinky tree" because, well, it smelled awful.  Every year on Halloween, we would avoid this house, like all of the other children, because of the smell.  It only smelled bad around this time of year, too, and my mom said that it was because of the flowers that bloomed on it.  That tree is gone, now.

Halloween was always so cold by my parents' house.  Wearing that little pink dress, I am sure I was freezing, but I never would say a word to be sure that my mom didn't take me home.  My mom collected candy that year for my brother, and I have so many memories of the "plunk" of candy falling into my bucket, before we switched to pillow cases to get more candy.  



I just realized how random the "stinky tree" paragraph looks.  Whatever.  

2 comments: