Thursday, October 23, 2008

Welcome to my battle.

My decision to become a teacher first ran through my mind at the age of 13.  I was in my middle school English class, and one of the students asked our teacher, Mr. Akiyama, why he had become a teacher.  I thought that this was a very odd question to ask someone.  Does anyone really know why they become anything?  I don't remember his answer exactly, but I do know that he said it was the satisfaction that he had at the end of the day that really made it worthwhile.  And, in that moment, I thought to myself, 
"I could do that."

I have wandered down many different paths in my life, regarding what and where I wanted to be when "I grew up."  And now, I find myself out of college, in my very early 20s, and in one of the best programs in the country to become a teacher.  I have never felt more like a grownup in my life... except for the fact that I am unnervingly frightened by the whole experience, and I have never felt so uncertain of myself.

I teach 3 periods, under the supervision of two VERY different female "master teachers."  my first two are Juniors, that range from the quiet outcasts to the loud, obnoxious kid that you're afraid won't do anything with their life.  My freshmen... well, let me just say that I know I was never that annoying, despite what my older brother may tell you.

Here, I plan to chronicle the journal entries I write along with my freshmen twice a week, as well as any experiences I have that are poignant enough for me to find the time to sit down and type.  I have been at it for about 5 weeks now, and there are some things I have to get out there into the world.

I hope that through this blog, if nothing else, I can get someone to understand how hard a teacher's job really is.  Everyday is a battle, but it is one that, for the sake of the future, I will willingly dive into the trenches for.

No comments:

Post a Comment